Participation in 10 hours of continuing education every 12 months shall be required of all Accredited Members in order to maintain their status.
At least 5 hours shall be in the field of mediation and the rest in allied fields, such as mental health, law, finance, and conflict resolution.
Attendance at an NJAPM annual conference equals 6 hours.
Program portion of a general meeting with a speaker equals 1.5 hour.
Presenting a program at either an annual conference or a general meeting equals 3 hours.
Members shall be responsible for maintaining their own continuing education record and to submit it with their dues payment every year.
Failures to complete the required hours of continuing education may result in being dropped from the list of accredited members.
"Accredited" vs. "Certified"
A member who has earned accreditation may use the term "Accredited by the NJAPM" or the initials "APM" (Accredited Professional Mediator). The term "Certified" may not be used.
Although most or perhaps all mediators receive a certificate of completion from a mediation training course, that does not make a mediator a "certified mediator", at least not in New Jersey. Among lawyers, use of the word "certified" is prohibited unless one is certified by the Supreme Court or an ABA-approved certifying organization.
Advertising Protocol for Executive and Board Positions
Members of the NJAPM who hold executive positions on the board or who have held such positions shall not be allowed to state such status when advertising their private practice. Members may specify membership and whether or not they are accredited by the NJAPM. Violations will be referred to the Ethical Review Board for appropriate action.
Listserve Policy (revised 1/10)
By joining and using the New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators (NJAPM) e-mail listservers, you agree that you will follow this policy set for the listservers. You also agree to reserve list discussions for topics best suited to the medium. This is an excellent medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation.
If you have questions concerning these rules and guidelines, contact the webmaster. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, NJAPM reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership on all lists for members who violate these rules.
- The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may. Don't challenge or attack others.
- Posting of commercial messages on any listserver is prohibited. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them. “Commercial” as used for purposes of evaluating listserver messages means communications whose primary purpose is to advance the business or financial interests of any person or outside entity, or otherwise to promote a financial transaction for the benefit of the author directly or indirectly. Examples of prohibited communications include advertisements for products or services and direct solicitations of listserv members to purchase products or services.
- Our listservers are not the place to promote your own website or weblog. “Link baiting” on the listservers is prohibited; that is, do not post a link back to your own website or blog, other than in a standard signature tag. If you have a blog posting that you think would be interesting to the list subscribers, post the blog entry text to the appropriate listserver and allow the discussion to happen on the listserver.
- Use caution when discussing products or services. Information posted on the listservers is available for all subscribers to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a Listserv message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Listservers are not to be used for any communication that could be construed in any way as support for, or opposition to, any candidate for a federal, state or local public office. (NJAPM’s tax exempt status forbids the use of NJAPM resources or facilities, including listservers, in any way that would even appear to support or oppose such a political candidate.)
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. This is not a place to be anonymous.
- Avoid cross-posting (posting on multiple listservers), multi-posting (submitting the same post more than once), off-topic posting, typing in all capital letters, and repetitive posting of the same content.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting. If the topic of a thread changes, change the subject line.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that may be of benefit to everyone.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using your e-mail application's “reply to sender” option and not hitting “reply to all.”
- If available, use the account management tools of the website to manage listserver subscriptions. Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the listservers. Instead, send an email to the webmaster at email@example.com to change your subscription or remove you from a list.
General Legal Matters
These Listservers are provided as a service of NJAPM. NJAPM is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on our listservers by others. NJAPM disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on our listservers, whether posted by NJAPM or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall NJAPM be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on our listservers.
Posting of any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials is prohibited. Posting of any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner is also prohibited. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants NJAPM and users of our listservers the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
Only current NJAPM members in good standing may subscribe to the listservers. Each eligible member will be subscribed with the member’s email address on file with the Association. No member will be subscribed with more than one email address at any given time. NJAPM reserves the right to remove any subscriber whose email address does not freely accept incoming emails without any NJAPM or sender intervention.
NJAPM may, from time to time, modify existing or post additional rules that apply to specific parts of these services. Such additional rules will be posted in a relevant part of its website, and will be clearly identified. Your continued use of these services constitutes your agreement to comply with these additional rules.
Sanctions for Violations of Rules
NJAPM does not moderate or generally undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any violations of this policy is brought to the attention of the NJAPM webmaster (or designee), the following action may be taken:
- The webmaster may first send a warning directly to the violator, with a reminder of the rules and an explanation of the violation.
- At the discretion of the webmaster, a member may be suspended from the listserver(s) for a period to be determined by the webmaster. The member may re-apply for subscription to the listserver(s) at the end of such suspension. Re-application does not guarantee immediate reinstatement, and if a member is not reinstated, the rationale for the decision will be sent to the member.
- A member may appeal a suspension and denial of reinstatement to the NJAPM Board of Directors.
- The action taken by the webmaster will depend upon the type of violation and its severity.
|Conflict of Interest Policy for Board and Committee members||11.08 KB|
|NJAPM Antitrust Compliance Policy||34.58 KB|