Fall 2017 Civil Mediation (40-Hour) Basic Training Course
Enhance your practice or career – become a court-qualified and/or private practice civil mediator. This course meets the new 40-Hour court requirement.
Tentative Fall 2017 dates: October 1, 2, 15, 16 and 22
Mediation is rapidly becoming the preferred method for parties to resolve lawsuits and disputes. If you are an attorney, accountant, business person, law enforcement, education, mental health or other professional and want to become a qualified civil and commercial mediator and receive training from New Jersey's premier association of professional mediators, you should take this course.
Technique: Understand what mediation is and what good mediation skills are. Learn various techniques to use during mediation and when to use them.
Process: How a mediation is conducted from beginning to end. Receive practice forms and documents which you can customize for your own use.
Case Management: Understand how a mediation’s case flow works and ensure your clients are properly prepared for the mediation session.
Marketing: Learn about mediation opportunities and how to prospect for clients.
Multi-disciplinary faculty: The faculty is composed of experienced mediators who are also attorneys, business persons and other professionals. This multi‐disciplinary faculty will expose you to different mediation approaches and styles. You will be a better mediator by learning from this diverse faculty.
Small classes: Classes are limited to a maximum of 24 students. You will be able to better participate in the extensive role-plays and receive individualized attention from the faculty.
Low student-teacher ratio: Each role play group will have a coach for personalized feedback.
Method of instruction
Lecture: Learn from prominent New Jersey mediators.
Videos and faculty demonstration: Learn by watching experienced mediators.
Multiple student role plays: Learn by doing and observing.
Why take your training from NJAPM?
- Instructors who are highly experienced and distinguished mediators.
- Miss only two weekday workdays.
- Class limited to 24 students.
- Numerous valuable role plays with personalized role play coaching and feedback for each student.
- Meets the basic training requirements for admission to the court’s civil mediation roster under Rule 1:40. Visit njcourts.com for complete roster admission requirements.
- All course graduates may return and audit the course again anytime it is offered by paying a fee to cover meals and materials.
- NJAPM is an association of professionals engaged in and dedicated to the practice of dispute resolution through mediation.
- Mediation is NJAPM's only business!
About the Faculty (Faculty subject to change)
Jonathan Hyman, Esq. Professor (emeritus) of law at Rutgers Newark Law School; mediator, arbitrator and trial attorney; author of numerous articles on mediation
Robert Lenrow, Esq., APM Mediator and attorney; past officer of NJAPM; winner of 2012 Richard K. Jeydel Award for Excellence in ADR
Robert McDonnell, MS, APM Professional mediator and arbitrator; past president of NJAPM; founder of Alliance Mediation
Terri Reicher, Esq. Teaches alternative dispute resolution at Seton Hall and William Paterson Universities; officer of Garibaldi ADR Inn of Court
Marvin Schuldiner, MBA, APM Professional mediator and arbitrator; director of civil mediation training for NJAPM; NJAPM past president; chair of NJAPM’s mediator quality committee
The course fee is $1,195 if paid in full on or prior to August 15, 2017 and $1,349 if paid in full thereafter. Prior to August 15, 2017 you may reserve your space by paying a $200 non-refundable deposit. The remainder of the course fee for those who have made deposits must be made by August 15, 2017 or you risk losing your reserved spot. New registrations made on or after August 15, 2017 must be paid in full. Course fee includes daily lunch and snacks, and course materials (except the course textbook).
Any cancelation by a student after fees are paid will be subject to a $200 cancelation fee ($300 cancelation fee if cancelation request received within 10 days of the start of the course). No refunds will be issued after the program has started. NJAPM reserves the right to cancel the training and return all fees.
The course is held at the Rutgers University Labor Education Center in New Brunswick, NJ (exit 9 off the NJ Turnpike).
Maximum of 24 students in a class. This class sold out in recent terms. Register early to avoid being waitlisted.
This course is approved by the New Jersey Courts to satisfy the training requirements for admission to the Civil Mediation Roster. This course is also approved for 48 credit hours NJ CLEs (4.2 for ethics). CPE credits available upon request.
Registration will open once dates are confirmed!
For more information contact Marvin Schuldiner at 732-963-2299 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommended Optional Courses:
- Law for Non-Attorneys: mediators can not be effective without speaking the language of their clients. Learn basic civil procedure, legal terminology and strategy.
- Mediation Apprenticeship: develop your mediation skills and gain experience by mediating actual court cases in special civil part under the supervision of an accredited mediator. The winter apprenticeship will start in January 2018.
|Flyer 40-hour Fall 2017 Civil Mediation Training [pdf]||273.08 KB|